March 30 – Last day to submit artist applications.
April 18 – Artists will be notified by e-mail whether they have been accepted as exhibitors, declined, or accepted as alternates.
May 9 – Deadline for artists to accept invitation, return signed contract and remit booth payment fee.
Approximately 65 to 100 artists were chosen to exhibit at the both the 2010 and 2011 Milwaukee Domes Art Festival through the competitive jury process. We expect approximately the same number for 2012.
Projected images are reviewed by the panel in a blind jury process with multiple rounds. The identities of artists are not disclosed to jurors. The jury is comprised of one working artist and two other art professionals. The jury will view each artist's set of five images projected simultaneously in a horizontal grouping. The process, materials and dimensions for each image as well as artist information statements will be made available to the jury. Artistic excellence and a well balanced show are the criteria for selection of exhibitors, the Arts Festival does not have any quotas. The top 65-100 receive invitations; the balance of artists in the final round are retained to comprise a waiting list of alternates. Decisions of the jury panel are final.
1.REGISTRATION AND CANVAS STAMPING: Thursday August 15th 7am to 12pm Inside Domes lobby. 524 South Layton Boulevard, Milwaukee, WI. Artists can have as many canvases stamped as they please. A maximum of two framed pieces can be submitted for exhibition and judging.
2. ENTRY FEE: $35.00 for each artist to participate. No additional charge to festival booth artists. To become an participant in the artist booth portion of the festival, see details at:www.milwaukeedomesartfestival.com.
3. PAINT OUT: August 15- August 17. (NOTE: EXPANDED BOUNDARIES!) Paintings are to be completed within a two block area of The Mitchell Park grounds during the Milwaukee Domes Art Festival (August 15 from time of canvas stamping to 7:00 PM August 17. Artists CAN choose to paint INSIDE the domes. Artwork work must be completed without the use of photographs. All work submitted MUST be signed, framed and wired for hanging. ARTWORK TURN-IN TIME by 7:00 Saturday August 17.
4. JUDGING: All work submitted will be judged by three persons designated by the Domes Festival. All award decisions are final. The painter who wins “Best-of-Show” any one year will have the option of being the one of the judges the following year.
5. AWARDS: (NOTE EXPANDED PRIZE MONEY) Awards will be presented Sunday August 18. Awards $1500.00 -Best Of Show, $500.00 -First Place, $300.00- Second Place, $200.00- Honorable Mention! One painting (possibly NOT a cash award winner) may be chosen as the artwork for the next year's festival. Painters are only eligible for one award per year. Best-of-Show award winners are not eligible to win “Best-of-Show” two years in a row.
6. EXHIBITION & SALES: Sunday, August 18th from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM on site and in online flat rate sale or auction platform until midnight August 18th. All entries will be on display in the Domes lobby or appropriate plaza tent, hung and lit for maximum visibility and sale potential and available in the on line MDAF auction platform until midnight August 18th. All Plein Air paintings will be on sale at the festival until 4:00 P.M. Sunday, August 18th. A commission of 40% on sold paintings goes to The Friends of The Milwaukee Domes to be used in the Support of the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservancy.
7. ART PICK-UP: Artists must pick up all unsold work from auction platform normal business hours at The Conservatory no later than Wednesday August 21st. Unsold works at flat rate sale can be picked up at 4pm on festival grounds. The Milwaukee Domes, employees, volunteers, organizers, are not responsible for the care of artwork not picked up during the designated turn-in time. Artwork not picked up will be considered a donation for the support of the conservatory.